Networking working platform – Gather.town
In the virtual conference centre you will find a button Networking that leads you directly into the EMS2021 social space.
If you don’t want to read guidelines, simply watch the 4-minute intro video on YouTube that gives you the basics you need to know to move around and interact on the gather.town platform: Introduction video on YouTube
Gather.town offers a virtual space for conference attendees to interact with other attendees. You can use arrow keys for moving around in the space, you can search a specific person and chat with text or video. You can have a video chat with a person who is close enough to you or with people in the same private space as you. You can also interact with objects in the space: a shortcut “x” will enable/disable all interactions with objects.
The EMS2021 social space has two rooms: the large main room and a smaller event room to the back of the area. The main room offers meeting areas for each Programme Stream (ES, OSA, UP) and for early career scientists (ECS). Arrows on the floor point you to the various areas and the event room.
- Avatar: During the joining process you can design your avatar.
- Move around: Apart from using the arrow keys to move your avatar, you can simply put the mouse on the spot you want to go and right click: a button “move here” will pop up.
- Locate: In the participants list you can search for people you want to meet; clicking on their name will give you the option to “locate” the person, which will draw a line on the floor from where you are to the person.
- Private space: Stepping in a private space will bring up a note “You have entered a private space”; only people in the same private space can chat with each other.
- Interact with objects: When approaching an interactable object this will start to “glow” (yellow frame). Pressing “x” will start your interaction with it. In EMS2021 social we have linked notes and announcements at the Information desk, information about the Outstanding Poster Award 2019, information about our sponsors, videos of award lectures and events, … find out yourself.
- Minimap: at the bottom you see a map icon: this opens a picture/overview over the entire area.
- Settings: Use the settings wheel on the left to explore options to change settings for size of the area displayed (smart/manual zoom), and much more; the settings menu will also come up if you click on your name at the bottom.
- Respawn: Moves you back to the entrance area.
The EMS2021 gather space is supported by Scintec.